Tuesday, November 2, 2010

South Africa news: Makhaya Ntini retires from international cricket

.
Makhaya Ntini, the South Africa fast bowler, has announced his retirement from international cricket but will continue representing domestic sides. Ntini will be given a farewell during the Twenty20 international between South Africa and India at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban on January 9, when he will make his final appearance for South Africa.
An emotional Ntini, fighting back tears, announced his decision at a press conference in Johannesburg on Tuesday. He reflected on his journey from being the first black African cricketer to play for South Africa in 1998 to becoming one of the nation's premier bowlers.
"It has been a wonderful journey for me to represent my country," Ntini said. "I have so many great memories, which I will carry with me for the rest of my life. My career is by no means over; it just means that internationally my time has come to hang up my boots. Domestic cricket is thriving at the moment, and I want to be a part of the set up, as a player, for as long as possible.
"It is also my dream to give back. The Makhaya Ntini Cricket Academy in Mdantsane is gathering momentum, and I am keen to put more energy into the project, and let it be a vehicle for change. I am currently in discussions with CSA about getting involved with their 'Tomorrow' campaign, and give back to its cricket development programmes, which are the same structures I came through."
Ntini played 101 Tests for South Africa, the last of which was against England at Kingsmead in December 2009, and 173 ODIs. He finished as South Africa's second-highest Test wicket-taker, behind Shaun Pollock, with 390 wickets at 28.82 apiece, and third highest in ODIs with 266 wickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment